Wednesday 26 August 2015

"The Dust Lady" 9/11 Marcy Borders Dies of Cancer

Marcy Borders, was a 28-year-old Bank of America worker when the world trade center was attacked in 2001, The Dust Lady photo was one of the most haunting photographs of the outrage. She Died on Monday at the age of 42 after a year-long battle with stomach cancer that she blamed on dust inhaled during the attack.
The family broke the news on Facebook on Monday, confirming her death 



“I can’t believe my sister is gone,” Michael Borders wrote of his sibling on Facebook. Borders’ cousin John Borde added that she was a “hero” and she “unfortunately succumbed to the diseases that have ridden her body since 9/11”.

“In addition to losing so many friends, coworkers, and colleagues on and after that tragic day ... the pain from yesteryear has found a way to resurface,” he said.

Borders had no idea she had been photographed until her mother called to say she had seen the picture. The image appeared in Time Magazine’s list of 25 most powerful images, and inspired the song The Tale of Marcy Borders. But it remained an emblem of the problems that continued to trouble her after the attacks.

She told the Jersey Journal before her death: “I’m saying to myself ‘Did this thing ignite cancer cells in me?’ I definitely believe it because I haven’t had any illnesses. I don’t have high blood pressure … high cholesterol, diabetes.

“How do you go from being healthy to waking up the next day with cancer?”
May her soul rest in peace.

Photos credit: Yahoo news 

No comments:

Post a Comment